Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Is The Customer Really Always Right?

I am a huge advocate of customer service. My ethic focuses on providing the level of service that is expected by my customers (end-users) and nothing frustrates me more than failing to offer a quality of service that I know I am capable of delivering. I have high expectations of myself, my co-workers, and those around me; often to their consternation.

To be delivering such service, at times you have to be accommodating. You have to go above and beyond. You have to understand your customer and anticipate needs. The question is, however, how you do that without compromising your integrity or the integrity of your organization.

I work for a law firm. I am sure there are other industries out there with demanding users; however, I am going to put the needs of an attorney toe to toe with any other professional. We are dealing with trained arguers. These are "A" type personalities that live for the chance to demonstrate exactly how they would dismantle you down to a quivering bowl of jello, should they have the opportunity to put you on a stand. Needless to say, being confronted by an angry lawyer is a significantly unnerving experience not to for the weak of heart and often their tactics will result in intimidation that leads to what they want.

So does that mean we give in to every demand? "I need this software installed", "I want you to give me access to this website", "unlock those permissions", "I want the admin password so I don't have to call you all the time". Of course not. My responsibility to the firm is to protect the firm. Sometimes that means that I have to protect the users from themselves. At the most, I have about 5-7 minutes to state my case when talking to an attorney. Anything more than that and I am wasting their time. Do they know what I am talking about when I try to explain that opening a specific port on a firewall will put the firm at risk because the likelihood of a hacker port scanning our network could allow a potential DMZ infiltration? Seriously? I lost them when I drew breath to start the explanation. That isn't to knock them; I would be just as lost about three sentences into one of their pleadings.

Much like the service the attorney provides to their clients as an adviser and a counselor, the IT department should provide the same type of guidance whether it is overtly or indirectly. From time to time, in the attorney's eye, we install software that is considered an impedance to productivity, our processes are a burden, and we drive users crazy with updates and patches. While many times our end-users will not appreciate what we do, it is satisfying knowing that we have done what is right and what needed to be done to protect the organization. Sure, an update may inconvenience the end-user for a short time while a login script runs. Luckily, the users will never know the potentially catastrophic loss of time that has been avoided by blocking a reported security hole with that update. Would I prefer to be able to deliver unfettered service with complete freedom? Sure, but in the real world, how long would it be before our systems are rendered useless due to viruses, malware, hackers and numerous other un-pleasantries.

When I am receiving a blistering litany of colorful adjectives mixed in with specific suggestions towards where I can place my latest system update, I take solace in knowing my stubbornness is for the greater good. I politely apologize and sympathize with the individual and try to explain why we will not install the "weatherbug" plug-in or allow access to that bit torrent site. Usually, it does me no good; however, once in a while, I will get a frustrated, yet understanding sigh. To all the people that I support, I'm sorry I cannot give you what you want, but whether you know it or not, in that instance I have helped you.

No comments:

Post a Comment